Category Archives: model ship

Baltimore Clipper Harvey

baltimore-clipper

Baltimore Clipper Under Sails image sourceMODEL SHIP- OMH INC

Baltimore Clipper Model Ship Now on Sale 

The Harvey was built in 1847 in the state of Maryland. She was an able sailer working out of the port of Galveston Texas. At the turn out the Century she was making several voyages a year between Galveston and the ancient Jewish port of Jaffa which at the time was still under the Ottaman empire. Her main cargo was hemp used to make ropes for the rigging of ships. She exemplified this class of roving privateers, overtaking and capturing British merchantmen laden with cargo to support the British expeditionary forces then attempting to recapture the former colonies. She had a successful career, first as a warrior and then as a cargo carrier. She displaced about 225 tons, and had a length of 97 feet, a width of 25 feet and a depth of less than 11 feet. With the end of the war, transatlantic trade resumed, and the Baltimore clipper evolved over the next 30 years to take the form of larger cargo carrying packets. These had similar hull lines and were longer, slimmer, and faster than older merchant ships.
Advertisements

Nautical Themed Corner

unnamed

Tall Ship Models, Ships in the Bottle, Ship Wheels

5 Most Famous America’s Cup Yacht Models

William Fife Limited 35004

America’s Cup Yacht Model “William Fife”

 

William Fife III (1857-1944), was the third generation of a family of Scottish yacht designers and builders. Fife was born in a small village which operated the family business from their yard on the beach in the village.

Even though Fife was born in to a legacy of distinguished Scottish Boat builders, he was quick to establish his own reputation as one of the top designers of the world. Dominating competitors, and a master of his trade, he would receive commissions from European royalty and from clients as far as Australia.

Soon enough Fife would also establish a reputation in the yacht racing world, not only designing and building small boats, but a impressive line of cruisers. Fife once said, to have a great yacht, the secret is to be both “fast and bonnie”.

Today, it is thought that there are somewhat less than 100 Fife designs still in existence with perhaps fifty or so still sailing. Of the larger vessels, Altair, Belle Aventure, Cambria, Halloween, the Lady Anne, Moonbeam of Fife, Moonbeam IV, Mariquita and Tuiga grace the classic yacht circuit in Europe. In North America, the Fife ketchs, Adventuress and Sumurun, can be found in the waters of New England.

Ranger 35 Limited 001

America’s Cup Yacht Model “Ranger”

 

The J-class yacht Ranger won the 1937 America’s Cup, defeating 4-0 the Endeavour II of Britain, raced at Newport, Rhode Island. It would be the last time huge J-class yachts would race in the America’s Cup.

Construction
Harold Stirling Vanderbilt funded construction of the Ranger, and it launched on May 11, 1937. It was designed by Starling Burgess and Olin Stephens, and constructed by Bath Iron Works. Stephens would credit Burgess with actually designing the Ranger, but the radical departure from conventional J-class design was more likely attributable to Stephens himself. Geerd Hendel, Burgess’s chief draftsman also had a hand in drawing many of the plans.
Ranger was constructed according to the Universal Rule which determined how large various dimensions of racing yachts, such as sail area and length, could be. Often referred to as the super J, the Ranger received a rating of 76, the maximum allowed while still fitting within Universal Rule constraints.
Velsheda Limited 35001

The Velsheda was designed by Charles Nicholson and built by Camper Nicholson in 1933 for Mr W.L. Stephenson at Gosport. She was Nicholson’s second design for a J Class and Stephenson’s second big yacht.Velsheda was named after Stephenson’s three daughters, Velma, Sheila and Daphne. Between 1933 and 1963, she raced with many infamous yachts including Britannia, Endeavour and Shamrock.

In her second season Velsheda won more than 40 races and achieved an outstanding record of success at Regatta’s from Southend to Dartmouth. Although around 1934 her name was among great racings boats such as “Britannia”, “Endeavour”, and “Shamrock” as well.

During her time, she represented one of the most advanced designs for rigging, sails, deck gear, ropes, and spars. She was equipped with aluminum masts, that were made of bent plates riveted together. New terylene threads made up her sails.

At one point while on charter, she found herself on the beach from a falling tide, but was managed to be recovered safely. Every now and then she would compete in the annual Round the Island Race, though in poor condition, still an amazing site to yacht enthusiasts around the world.

666-atlanta-sailboat-model1
Canada had tried twice to win the America’s Cup but had failed both times. The first in 1876 by the Cuthbert built “Countess of Dufferin”, flying the Roya! Canadian Yacht Club brgee. The second one in1881 by another Cuthbert built yacht “Atlanta”. “Atlanta” flew the burgee of the Bay of Quinte Yacht Club and had the distinction of being the first sloop rigged vessel ever to race for the America’s Cup. Cuthbert was one of the most famous competition yacht builders of the era.
After these two unsuccessful challenges, the deed of gift on the America’s Cup was altered to state that no ±urthe_ challenges from a fresh water club would be accepted. The America’s Cup was now the exclusive property of salt water sai!ors.
The fol!owing year A. J. Fisher presented to the Chicago Yacht Club a challenge cup to be raced for by s!oops. This trophy still bears his name and is the oldest international cup on the Great Lakes.
The first race for the Fisher Cup was held on July 8, 1882 and was won by Chicago Yacht Club’s sloop “Cora” and she was successfu! in defending it in a second race in September of that same year.
The following year, 1883, an International Regatta was sponsored by the Chicago Yacht Club. The Fisher Cup and $500.00 was to be the prize. In a race held on August 4th, the 65’ cutter “Ai!een” and “Atlanta”, the defeated challenger for the America’s Cup, represented Canada. “Cora”, the defender of the cup, and “Wasp” sailed for Chicago and “Cora” won, retaining the Fisher Cup.
Though the deed of gift stated that another challenge could not be accepted for thirty days, Captain Cuthbert asked Chicago to waive the time limit and allow another race almost immediately. They agreed and, on August 8th, a race was sailed around a twelve mile triangle. This time “Atlanta” was the winner and she brought the Fisher Cup to the Bay of Qunite Yacht Club and to Lake Ontario.
In the winter of 1883-84, Cuthbert designed and built a sloop for John Bell, who named it “Norah” after his daughter. The “Norah” was built a!ong the lines of “Atlanta” and, on September 17, 1884, “Norah” lifted the Fisher Cup.
tall-sailboat-model-ship-intrepid-50-inch-1

Nautical Decor

unnamed (1)

Ship Models, Ships in the Bottle and Ship’s Wheels Makes Great Nautical Decoration, Bringing Endless Summer Into Our Life.

Victorious American defender of the seventh America’s Cup race” Volunteer”

750px-JSJ-volunteer_turningphoto source wikipedia

Volunteer 25 Limited012

America’s Cup Yacht Model ” Volunteer”

Volunteer was the victorious American defender of the seventh America’s Cup race in 1887 against Scottish challenger Thistle.

Design

Volunteer, a centerboard compromise sloop, was designed by Edward Burgess and built by Pusey & Jones Shipbuilding Company at Wilmington, Delaware in 1887 for owner General Charles J. Paine of the New York Yacht Club.

Volunteer had an all-steel frame and hull, with a deck of white pine.

Career

Volunteer easily beat the 1886 America’s Cup defender Mayflower during the trials, and won both Cup races on September 27 and 30, 1887, against Thistle. It was skippered by Captain Hank Haff with the assistance of Captains Terry, Berry and L. Jeffreys.

Soon after the Cup races, Volunteer was bought by John Malcolm Forbes (who also owned Puritan) and was altered as a schooner in 1891. It was broken up at a New York junkyard in 1910.

 

 

 

USS Constitution Frigate

Image

Image

USS Constitution Model Ship Replica

 

The United States Navy’s three-masted frigate USS Constitution, better known as “Old Ironsides,” is the world’s oldest commissioned warship afloat.

In March 1794 Congress passed a naval act that called for the construction of a half-dozen frigates — the 44-gun frigates ConstitutionUnited States, and President and the 36-gun frigates CongressConstellation, andChesapeake. The Constellation, launched in 1797, was the first of the US Navy’s original six frigates to go to sea, in June 1798.

Joshua Humphreys designed these frigates to be the Navy’s capital ships, larger and more heavily armed than the standard run of frigate. Humphreys had two criteria to satisfy, to out gun the next rate ship and to out-sail adversaries. Humphreys understood that optimization of the two criteria became mutually exclusive when building a hull. Combining the weight of the guns and the buoyancy curve of a fast sailing hull results in a force that distorts the hull. The distortion known as “hog” is the bending along the length of the keel. With minimal buoyancy, the ends of the ship tend to drop down under the weight loads of the guns, while the center midbody, being more buoyant, rises upward.

Humphreys recognized the need to stiffen the hull to resist the forces causing hogging. The successful integration of the two design criteria demanded an innovated technical solution to the problems of strength of materials and hull design. Built in Boston of resilient live oak, Paul Revere forged the copper spikes and bolts that held the planks in place and the copper sheathing that protected the hull. Thus armed, she first put to sea in July 1798 and saw her first service patrolling the southeast coast of the United States during the Quasi-War with France. In 1803 she was designated flagship for the Mediterranean squadron under Captain Edward Preble and went to serve against the Barbary States of North Africa.

By early 1812, relations with Great Britain had deteriorated and the Navy began preparing for war, which was declared June 20. Cruising off the Gulf of St. Lawrence on 19 August under the command ofCaptain Isaac Hull, Constitution encountered the Guerriere, , a fast British frigate mounting 49 guns. Twenty minutes laterGuerriere was a dismasted hulk, so badly damaged that she was not worth towing to port. Hull had used his heavier broadsides and his ship’s superior sailing ability, while the British, to their astonishment, saw that their shot seemed to rebound harmlessly off Constitution’s hull — giving her the nickname ‘Old Ironsides’. It was a dramatic victory for America and for Constitution. In this battle of only half an hour the United States “rose to the rank of a first-class power”; the country was fired with fresh confidence and courage; and union among the States was greatly strengthened.

An examination in 1830 found her unfit for sea, but the American public expressed great indignation at the recommendation that she be scrapped, especially after publication of Oliver Wendell Holmes’ poem ‘Old Ironsides’. Decommissioned in 1882, she was used as a receiving ship at Portsmouth, N.H. She returned to Boston to celebrate her centennial in 1897.

In 1905, public sentiment saved her once more from scrapping. In 1925 she was restored, through the donations of school children and patriotic groups, and recommissioned in 1931. In 1941, she was placed in permanent commission, and an act of Congress in 1954 made the Secretary of the Navy responsible for her upkeep.

Now the oldest US warship still in commission, Constitution remains a powerful reminder of the nation’s earliest steps into dominance of the sea.

The USS Constellation in Baltimore is the 1854 sloop-of-war, bearing the same name as the famous frigate of 1797, as well as perhaps a handful of timbers taken from the frigate and installed for sentimental purposes. In 1968 she was restored and configured to resemble the 1797 frigate Constellation which was built in Baltimore. The exterior appearance of the ship was altered to simulate the 18th century frigate, with an open spar deck. An extensive restoration of the ship in the mid-1990s includes the removal of anachronistic features installed since 1955, along with others installed as early as 1913, to configure the ship as it appeared at the beginning of the Civil War.

Specifications  Return to Top

Builders Col. George Claghorn, Edmond Harrt’s Shipyard, Boston, Mass.
Unit Cost $302,718 (1797 dollars)
Power Plant 42,710 sq. ft. of sail on three masts
Length 204 feet (62.16 meters) (billet head to taffrail); 175 feet at waterline (53.32 meters)
Beam 43.5 feet (13.25 meters)
Mast height foremast, 198 feet (60.33 meters);
mainmast, 220 feet (67.03 meters);
mizzenmast, 172.5 feet (52.56 meters)
Displacement 2,200 tons
Speed 13+ knots ( approx. 14.95 miles per hour, 24 km. per hour)
Crew 450 including 55 Marines and 30 boys (1797)
Armament 32 – 24-pounder long guns;
20 – 32-pounder carronades;
2 – 24-pounder bow chasers.
Boats one 36-ft. long boat;
two 30-ft. cutters,
two 28-ft. whaleboats;
one 28-ft. gig;
one 22-ft. jolly boat;
one 14-ft. punt.
Anchors two main bowers (5300 lbs.); one sheet anchor (5400 lbs.);
one stream anchor (1100 lbs.); and
two kedge anchors (400 to 700 lbs).
Date Deployed

October 21, 1797

source: fas.org

Jaws/Orca Boat Model Replica

Go Nautical

Jaws/Orca Boat Model Replica

Ship Model Replica  Jaws/Orca

Inspired by the fishing boat and shark hunting boat Orca, famous from the Steven Spielberg film Jaws starring Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss, this is a fine-crafted model fishing boat replica.

View original post

%d bloggers like this: