This is the original boat from the movie, the African queen. This vessel is located at 99701 Overseas Highway in Key Largo, Florida. It was even added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on February 18th 1992. The African Queen was constructed in 1912 in Lytham, England. It was used for service in African on the Victoria Nile and Lake Albert, the location where the movie was filmed around 1951. This ship is most known for shuttling passengers and cargo across Lake Albert in 1912 to 1968 while she was used by the British East Africa Railway. This boat is constructed entirely out of wood and is driven by a steam engine.
These grand sailing ship models of a historic America’s Cup Challenger are perfect for any home, beach house or office as the proud centerpiece for a nautical themed sun room or inspirational highlight of a corporate meeting room. Beauty and grace combine in the America’s Cup Challenger model yacht to emanate elegance and a winning spirit.
The Endeavour was boat from Great Britain, belonging to the Royal Yacht Squadron. The ship was Designed by Charles E. Nicholson, owned by Thomas Octave Murdoch Sopwith, and Engineered by Frank Murdoch. The Endeavour II was launched on June 8, 1936 under the commanding captain, George Williams whom was unsuccessful challenger for the 1937 America’s Cup.
William Fife III (1857-1944), was the third generation of a family of Scottish yacht designers and builders. Fife was born in a small village which operated the family business from their yard on the beach in the village.
Even though Fife was born in to a legacy of distinguished Scottish Boat builders, he was quick to establish his own reputation as one of the top designers of the world. Dominating competitors, and a master of his trade, he would receive commissions from European royalty and from clients as far as Australia.
Soon enough Fife would also establish a reputation in the yacht racing world, not only designing and building small boats, but a impressive line of cruisers. Fife once said, to have a great yacht, the secret is to be both “fast and bonnie”.
Today, it is thought that there are somewhat less than 100 Fife designs still in existence with perhaps fifty or so still sailing. Of the larger vessels, Altair, Belle Aventure, Cambria, Halloween, the Lady Anne, Moonbeam of Fife, Moonbeam IV, Mariquita and Tuiga grace the classic yacht circuit in Europe. In North America, the Fife ketchs, Adventuress and Sumurun, can be found in the waters of New England.
The HMS Surprise was of the Hebe Class of the Royal Navy and a 38-gun frigate. However, all of the Fifth Rate frigates were re-classed as 46-gunfrigates in February 1817 because cannonades on the quarter deck and forecastle were to also be included in the rating. The Surprise had 284 officers and ratings and primarily 28 eighteen-pounder guns on her upper deck. She also had 8 nine-pounder guns and 6 32-pounder cannonades on her quarter back. On her forecastle she had 2 nine-pounder guns and 2 more 32-pounder cannonades.
She was ordered for construction on April 10, 1809 and the keel was placed at Milford Dockyard in Pembrokeshire on January 1810. On July 25, 1812, she was launched and moved to Plymouth Dockyard to complete a few finishing touches. On August 9 and December 1 of 1812, the fitting out took place and she was officially commissioned in September 12. The Captain of the HMS Surprise was Captain Sir Thomas John Cochrane. She set sail for the West Indies on December 19, 1812. Her gun deck measured 150 feet and 4 inches and the breadth was 40 feet and a half inch. The depth was 12 feet 9 inches and her total weight was 1,072 tons.
The Surprise initially served on the Leeward Islands, which is where she captured the Decatur, an American 12-gun privateer, on January 16, 1813. Starting from June 1814, she was under command of Captain George Knight and was present during the bombardment of Fort McHenry on September 1814. On either August or September 1814, the Surprise paid off out of commission into Ordinary and by 1822 she was abridged to a hulk at Milford. However, she was refitted at Plymouth and made into a convict hulk and was stationed at Cork. She remained at Cork until she was sold for 2, 010 pounds in 1837.